A Hummingbird Magnet

Every fall I order seeds. And every winter when I can’t play in the dirt outside, I play in the dirt inside and sow seeds. I sowed zinnia and cosmos seeds in February.

In early May I filled a large patio pot with soil and transplanted the seedlings into it. I pushed a few more zinnia seeds into the soil for good measure.

IMG_7512.jpg

IMG_7842By June 10th the plants were filling the clay pot.

IMG_8091 (1)By the end of June, zinnias and cosmos in vivid shades of mauve, magenta, peach and orange stood tall.

Cut and Come Again zinnias make good cut flowers in a vase; the more you cut, the more blooms you will have. Sea Shells cosmos have textured flowers.

The flowers are so vibrant; they are a hummingbird magnet.

Click on any photo above to scroll through a slideshow.

Do you have favorite seeds that you sow?

xoxo

Post navigation

10 comments for “A Hummingbird Magnet

1. Janette Andrews
    August 20, 2018 at 9:02 pm

Your Zinnias are so beautiful I am going to buy some already grown and put them in for color. 🙂

• August 22, 2018 at 11:25 am

Good luck! If you can’t locate them in bloom, coneflowers come in vibrant colors too. Coneflowers are perennials so they will come back in spring. Zinnia are annuals; they have to be planted every year.
      xoxo

2. B/J
    August 21, 2018 at 1:39 pm

Your always teaching.
    Beautiful flowers can’t wait to see them all.
    Love B/J

3. Tony King
    August 21, 2018 at 2:34 pm

Great flowers, great pic’s

4. August 24, 2018 at 1:39 am

Beautiful pictures!

September 21, 2018 at 4:56 pm

I’m woefully behind in blog-reading, mainly because I’m busy embroidering most of the time. This is a lovely post! Love your planters, your photos, everything! Sending you a hug and all my best wishes! xx