Spring in the Winter Garden

Yes, March is here! Snow, rain, high winds and nighttime temperatures in the 20’s. This my first March living in the mountains of North Carolina, so I didn’t know what to expect, but, no surprises. It’s the same March weather I experienced in Connecticut. Spring did tease us with a few warm days but she didn’t stay long.

In the following photos you will see a plant called Hellebore. Their common name is Lenten Rose. In late winter the buds swell and open, the flowers bloom and even in summer, when their colors begin to fade they are still lovely because of the foliage, which adds structure to the garden well into Fall.

When most of the garden is asleep, I enjoy the anticipation of the first buds appearing on my hellebores, soon opening to reveal a flower with delicate petals and detailed centers. Hellebores start blooming in late winter and continue through May.

I’m including photos taken in my garden, while I lived in Connecticut, as well as photos from my current garden in North Carolina.

This hellebore was planted in August. In March, my hellebores are getting bigger. I love the dainty, nodding flowers, buds and variegation on the bottom leaf.

There are many different kinds and colors of hellebores.

Hellebores are small when you first plant them, but if you compare this photo with the top photo, you can see how they look full grown. This photo was taken in my Connecticut garden. Hellebores have lovely, muted toned flowers in May.

Hellebores are evergreen and add beauty and structure to the November garden in Connecticut.

If you want more information on hellebores, click here

Post navigation

12 comments for “Spring in the Winter Garden

1. March 11, 2018 at 5:36 pm

Lovely to see some garden space not covered in snow! Our’s were covered, then uncovered (and unattractively bare), and now we are between nor’easters. But I know the bulbs are down there biding their time.

• March 12, 2018 at 1:31 pm

Hopefully you won’t get too much snow! Not much longer and your bulbs will emerge.:)
      I didn’t plant any bulbs in fall, but next fall I will.
      Thank you for leaving me a comment.

2. March 11, 2018 at 5:54 pm

I feel so lucky that winter is short and spring comes early in Houston which is alive now with those blooms that welcome it.

• March 12, 2018 at 1:26 pm

How nice to have a short winter and be surrounded by flowers. 🙂
      The frost date here is middle of April. Another month of bare ground. Hopefully.
      Thank you Lulu for visiting my blog and writing a comment.

March 11, 2018 at 11:29 pm

Love your pictures!! Miss you!!

4. Bunty/Jeff
    March 12, 2018 at 1:41 am

So nice to see you blogging again.
    As always beautiful pictures and I wait patiently to learn from all your shared information.
    Hurry spring can’t wait!☀️🌻🌼

• March 12, 2018 at 1:17 pm

Thank you! It feels so good to be back at it. Are you looking out the window and making new garden plans?
      I am. 🙂

5. Shirley Kiely
    March 12, 2018 at 6:58 pm

Dearest Ellen,

I too am excited that you are blogging again and am delighted with your first topic. I enjoyed the way you referred to Spring as “she.” Your writing is always so personal and your pictures lovely. AND even though I insisted I like Hellebores indoors, you have convinced me that they do bloom late enough to be appreciated in late Spring.
    I also learned so much. Thank you. I’ve missed your blog.

Shirley

• March 13, 2018 at 2:47 pm

I appreciate your kind words especially: “I also learned so much.” I guess it’s the teacher in me. 🙂
      I’m happy you now like hellebores; I do think they’d be a perfect addition to your lovely garden.

6. cunningham80@comcast.net
    March 13, 2018 at 5:57 pm

Hi Toby We are experiencing our third nor’easter this month right now !!I am watching the snow fall so seeing pictures of lovely flowers is such a delight. So glad you are enjoying your new home. Love Eileen

Sent from XFINITY Connect App

• March 14, 2018 at 1:30 pm

Such crazy weather. It seems to be the norm across the US. We’re only getting snow flurries with this storm, but also high winds and freezing temperatures. Woke up to a dusting of snow. Hope you are sitting by the fire with a nice cup of tea. 🙂