Weekly Photo Challenge: Change

I’ve always loved change; starting over with a new outlook, goal or idea invites challenges and keeps life interesting. If you’ve been wondering why I’ve been silent for the last months, it’s because we’ve moved to a different state. My husband and I spent seven months getting a house ready to sell, putting it on the market, selling it after one month, finding a new house and finally last week moving in.

I loved living in Connecticut and writing and photographing the beautiful gardens I nurtured for so many years, but I longed for a new place where winters weren’t so harsh.

Now I have a garden that has potential; a new challenge!

Although I do not know all the plants and shrubs that I now have in my yard, I’m including pictures of a few friendly faces.

IMG_4952 IMG_4931 IMG_4949 IMG_4943

Can you guess where I moved?

I’ve missed you! More to come; today, the furniture finally arrives.

See more: Weekly Photo Challenge

31 comments for “Weekly Photo Challenge: Change

1. Beth Tramontano
    September 30, 2015 at 11:43 am

So happy for you both on this exciting change, but I do you miss you. :-). best of luck on your new adventure.

• October 1, 2015 at 4:35 pm

Dear Beth,
      It has been quite an adventure with many funny moments along the way.
      I miss you and all the laughs we shared!

2. September 30, 2015 at 11:57 am

If azaleas are blooming now, your move must be somewhere south or tropical.

• October 1, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Yes, we are in South Carolina. It still feels like summer here, people say October will bring cooler temperatures.
      Thank you for commenting on my blog.

3. September 30, 2015 at 12:02 pm

No, but it looks lovely and I wish you happiness there.

• October 1, 2015 at 4:32 pm

Hi Susan,
      We are in South Carolina; it is lovely with beautiful plants! Some of them also grew in Connecticut, but many of them are new to me.
      Thank you for commenting on my blog.:)
      I continue to enjoy your beautiful posts!

• October 1, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Thanks for clearing up the mystery! England’s only small, so there’s much less variation in what grows where. Of course soil and shade has some effect and things in the south may flower a week or two before the north. It always surprises me how wide a range of climates there is in the US and how things that grow in one state simply won’t survive in another.

4. Kim
    September 30, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Congratulations to y’all! More photos, please. πŸ™‚

• October 1, 2015 at 4:28 pm

You are so funny! Everyone says that here and I love it!
      Miss you and Tony!

5. Sandy Marinuzzi
    September 30, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Toby I saw your daughter at the cosignment shop and she told me where you found a house. She saw Jim will love being near the golf course. I wish you the best! Keep in touch!

• October 1, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Jim is happy to be close to a golf course! It is his passion.
      He golfs, I garden. πŸ™‚
      Send my best to Chuck.

6. Marie
    September 30, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Toby, great to see your blog. Happy to hear your furniture is coming today . It’s all so exciting for you. Ken and I wish you and Jim the very best.

• October 1, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Dear Marie,
      It is exciting! Now, we are surrounded by boxes and soon newsprint and bubble wrap will be everywhere…all part of the process of settling in. πŸ™‚
      Miss you and Ken!

7. September 30, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Congratulations! Moving is so exciting. If I could, I would move in a heartbeat for the excitement and discovery that comes with a new location!
    Best wishes and looking forward to reading about some of your new adventures πŸ™‚

• October 1, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Hi JoAnne,
      You are right, moving is exciting! Starting over is scary but filled with anticipation of a new adventure. We’ve met so many nice people; each day brings new discoveries.

September 30, 2015 at 7:14 pm

I have missed your posts furiously, Ellen, and it’s so good to hear from you! Everything looks so lush in these photos. Have you moved south?? I hope it wasn’t too difficult for you to leave behind your gorgeous CT garden! Looking forward to hearing how your new life will continue to unfurl…. Congratulations and much love to you~ xoxox

• October 1, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Dear Amy,
      Thank you for your kind words!
      Yes, we are in South Carolina. I did experience the letting go process, the same feeling we both had when our students left us in June: sadness and joy. The new owners were thrilled to be getting the gardens, so I knew we were leaving them in good hands. I will now have a longer gardening season and look forward to gaining new knowledge in gardening.
      Love, Hugs and Kisses

September 30, 2015 at 11:39 pm

HI Toby, glad to hear that you found a new home. How is life in the N.C.? You flowers look great. Can’t wait to see your new gardens. Good luck to you and your husband.

Miss you.

• October 1, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Hi Elaine,
      We are in South Carolina; many flowers are in bloom and I look forward to learning all about them. Happy gardening my friend!

10. September 30, 2015 at 11:52 pm

I was thinking Myrtle Beach or Savannah Georgia. My sister lives in NC, in High Point. A really beautiful state.

11. Shirley
    October 1, 2015 at 10:15 am

Dear Ellen,

It’s so nice to hear your voice again. The pictures you included are beautiful. You must include a panoramic view of your new yard/garden in a future posting.

You look forward to change and it’s challenges where as I look forward to things finally staying the same. I guess our differences are part of what makes the world go round..

Enjoy your new world and creating your new garden.

• October 1, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Dear Shirley,
      It felt good to be writing again; you know how much I missed it.:)
      We are now surrounded by boxes and more boxes; happy that I will be able to start unpacking today.
      Miss you!
      Much Love,

12. Jeff & Bunty
    October 1, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Congratulations on your new home! How exciting a new chapter to begin your mature years together. Love and happiness, health, & blessings to the both of you. Will talk soon, Jeff /

• October 2, 2015 at 11:18 am

Dear Bunty & Jeff,
      Thank you! It is exciting to be starting a new chapter; I love the mystery of the unknown.
      Miss you!
      Love, xxoo

13. cunningham80@comcast.net
    October 1, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Miss you more!Β  I’m so glad you found a home with garden potential.Β  May God bless each room of your new home with peace, love, joy and of course, flowers!!Love, EileenΒ

• October 2, 2015 at 11:11 am

Hi Eileen,
      I do feel blessed that we were able to find a house that we like. We’ve been painting and deleting, cleaning and changing; all part of the process of creating a home.

14. October 3, 2015 at 10:11 am

The delicate flowers are so beautiful.

• October 3, 2015 at 11:51 am

Flowers in October is just what I needed when we moved in, and all in my yard. πŸ™‚
      Thank you for commenting on my blog.

15. March 4, 2016 at 5:26 pm

South Carolina has beautiful gardens. Can you grow peonies?

• March 4, 2016 at 8:29 pm

I was happy to see Peony on a perennial list I got from a near-by nursery. I will be buying perennials and shrubs soon and will post about it when I start planting. We still have work to do such as removing old pine straw, adding more soil and figuring out size and shape of beds before we plant. What state are you in?