Gardens with Personality

Foliage is important, flowers are the spice, but statues add personality to your garden all through the seasons.

A few days ago, trudging through deep snow, I made my way to the potting shed, and peeked inside; my wicker chair was waiting for me; bright sun filled the space and I sat for a while enjoying the warmth. It felt good to be in the shed once again; our Connecticut winter was too long.

Everything was right where I left it: large and small clay pots, glazed green pots, old and new hoses, narrow rakes for getting in tight places and large leaf rakes, pointed and rounded shovels, an assortment of hand tools, and my favorite: statues.

In spring one of my pleasures is placing statues in the garden. The duck family and Peter Rabbit add whimsy to the kitchen garden. Others, like angels, are serene and bring peacefulness to flower beds. Garden walls and steps are ideal places for statues where they can be enjoyed while strolling or sitting.

Click on the first picture to scroll through the photos.

As you can see from the photographs, I change the location of some statues from year to year. This year I left the little girl standing spring, summer, fall and winter; she is made of cement and the harsh weather didn’t affect her.

Warmer temperatures are bringing rain to Connecticut today; I am hopeful it’s a sign. Soon a carpet of tiny, white bell flowers called snowdrops will cover the front borders welcoming spring.

19 comments for “Gardens with Personality

1. March 14, 2015 at 5:09 pm

So cute & inviting!

2. March 14, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Your gardens look so beautiful. I love the look of your statues nestled through the garden. It provides me with some inspiration for my own.

I don’t have a lot of plant space in my yard since it is made up primarily of deck and swimming pool so I’ve invested primarily in wall art on my fence. Maybe it’s time to add some statues too šŸ™‚

March 14, 2015 at 8:28 pm

I love it!! xoxo

4. March 14, 2015 at 8:43 pm

toby

beautiful entry— love the images too—- let me know when the snowdrops bloom — I think we all need some blooms after this winter—
    janie

• March 15, 2015 at 11:26 am

Thank-you Janie, I’m sure they will appear as soon as the heavy white blanket on top of them melts. šŸ™‚

5. March 15, 2015 at 12:47 am

It’s coming, even if it feels like it is doing so slowly!

March 15, 2015 at 2:56 am

I hope Spring is just around the corner. šŸ˜‰

March 15, 2015 at 3:15 am

Oh, Ellen, what an enchantment to stroll through your garden and see all your lovely statuary! The mother duck and ducklings are darling! Oh, and your sleeping cherub by the white hydrangeas– so dreamy…. Love the child who seems to be gazing up at passing clouds. Your garden bench is lovely. LOVE the statue of the girl. She’s so beautiful in each season, but I find her snow shawl particularly captivating. Love that you cut a fresh blossom to place in the waiting embrace of your kneeling cherub. What a perfect way to focus on miracle of a single blossom.

Lovely, all of this. It did my heart a world of good to wander with you here…. Thank you, my friend. xox

• March 15, 2015 at 11:44 am

Dear Amy, thank-you for wandering with me in my garden and appreciating it as I do. The garden rooms fill my soul with joy. Even with snow on the ground I am there remembering the beauty.

8. March 15, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Your stacked stone wall is incredible. I, too, am a firm believer in the power of garden statues. I call mine the “concrete menagerie.”

• March 15, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Barbara,
      I love your description, “concrete menagerie”; a wonderful garden collection. šŸ™‚

9. March 21, 2015 at 3:08 am

Beautiful garden and statues! I hope spring comes soon as I can not wait to see your garden in bloom this year šŸ™‚ Very relaxing and peaceful…

• March 21, 2015 at 11:03 am

Last night another 4″ of snow fell, so the snow that melted returned. White everywhere again. Waiting for Spring to wave her magic wand and take it away. šŸ™‚

• March 21, 2015 at 11:26 am

Wow! You really got hit hard this year. We are finally feeling the beginning of spring šŸ˜Š but some temperature changes again next week ā˜”ļø Spring can’t come fast enough šŸ˜Š Enjoy your day and happy Spring thoughts šŸ“·šŸŒ»šŸŒ»