Happy Valentine’s Day

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
The Little Prince

I have always loved handmade cards, frames, photo books, scrapbooks, baskets, bookmarks, paintings, pictures, jewelry and sculptures. Special people create objects using their hands, and minds. Hours are spent getting it right; each one original, to be given to another person to admire, hold and love. A gift made from the heart.

And that’s why I love bird nests.
Bird nests – found over time, forgotten.
Resting on the ground, deserted, hiding in pergolas, abandoned on tree branches.
The size of my thumb, my hand, or larger.
Assorted sticks and dried leaves bound together with mud, remnants of colorful ribbons, pale yellow grasses, crumbly leaves, hair and soft fur.
Always sturdy and made to last.
Circular in form; woven pieces of nature.
Hours are spent getting it right; each one original.
Cradles holding baby birds; fragile wings stretched in contentment.
A gift made from the heart.

A valentine nest made by a mother and father robin.
The mother constructing it, the father bringing twigs.
Using mud she outlined the top of the nest in the shape of a heart.
A message of love.

10 comments for “Happy Valentine’s Day

1. Sandra Marinuzzi
    February 8, 2015 at 11:04 pm

Your writing is special each word carefully chosen. I love the photo of the “heart” bird nest! Happy Valentine’s Day to you and Jim my friend!

• February 9, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Thank-you Sandy! Hope you and Chuck are visiting far-away places with warm breezes. 🙂
      Happy Valentine’s Day! Thank-you for stopping by and leaving a comment.

February 9, 2015 at 1:17 pm

What a special nest!! Such a special find!! I loved reading your post. Happy Valentine’s Day Toby!! xoxox

• February 9, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Beth, I love the heart on the nest. A love nest! 🙂
      Stay warm and cozy at home today. Thank-you for stopping by and commenting on my blog.

3. February 9, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I am so with you on the bird nest fascination. Each one of them just captures my imagination. Yours is particularly lovely as are your words. Lovely post. I wrote a nest post a while back you may enjoy:

• February 9, 2015 at 3:30 pm

I was surprised when I saw the heart. So lovely! I will check out your bird post; I love reading your blog. 🙂

4. janette andrews
    February 9, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Dear Ellen, You found a bird’s nest with a heart shape. Only you. Thank you for sending out this Valentine. xo j Janette

• February 9, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Hi Jan, Thinking about the father robin bringing twigs to the mother robin, warms my heart; a joint effort of love.
      Stay warm.

February 9, 2015 at 9:38 pm

How cute is that. Stay warm.

• February 10, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Hi Elaine, We are snowbound. Too much snow and ice. I’m dreaming of shell pink crocus and yellow daffodils.