Bringing the Outside In

My favorite Christmas decorations are from the garden. Every year I cut Winterberry branches and bring them indoors. But this year… my husband said, “The birds are eating the berries, you should spray them with lacquer.” Whoever heard of spraying Winterberries with lacquer? I didn’t listen. And then… the Winterberries were all gone; eaten by the birds. So, I bought Winterberry branches at a nursery.

I also cut evergreen branches and layer different sizes on the mantle and in vases. I hang wreaths using wide, satin ribbons, in the kitchen and living room windows. The baker’s rack in the kitchen holds pots of Amaryllis, Poinsettia, Christmas cactus, Cyclamen, and vases of Paperwhite bulbs. My decorations are simple, yet elegant.

a center piece with evergreen branches

a center piece with evergreen branches

our dining room

our dining room

the mantle in our living room, the candles are battery operated

the mantle in our living room, the candles are battery operated

the baker's rack in our kitchen

the baker’s rack in our kitchen

wreaths dressed up with satin ribbons

wreaths dressed up with satin ribbons

Winterberry branches in a clear vase on our dining room buffet

Winterberry branches in a clear vase on our dining room buffet

precious handmade ornament made by my daughter

a cherished ornament made by my daughter when she was young

another favorite made by pre-school hands, a glittered bell

another favorite made long ago by pre-school hands; a glittered bell

waiting for Santa

waiting for Santa

20 comments for “Bringing the Outside In

1. kim
    December 13, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I love your house! And the idea of bringing the outside in. You did the same for the Thanksgiving table at Terrie’s last year. 🙂

December 13, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Love it !!!

December 13, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Awesome!!

4. Donna
    December 13, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Beautiful!!

5. T.K.
    December 13, 2014 at 3:02 pm

My favorite time of the year…just a gorgeous display of Christmas….Very Victorian…the only thing missing is “Tiny Tim”
    Happy holidays to all…

• December 13, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Oh, I should have added a picture of Tiny Tim in the Dickens Village just for you.
      I know you love that story!

6. Eileen
    December 13, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Elegant and beautiful–just like you!

• December 13, 2014 at 8:14 pm

You are sweet! You are the one who is elegant and beautiful!
      Thanks for commenting on my blog!

7. janette andrews
    December 13, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Love-love-love the baker’s rack display in your kitchen. Indoors+outdoors=perfection. xo Janette

• December 13, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Dear Jan,
      I do love decorating the baker’s rack. With every new season comes a new display. 🙂
      xo

8. December 16, 2014 at 11:01 pm

It is all very beautiful !!! Simple but elegant is the way go… Merry Christmas!!

December 19, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Love all your special touches, so thoughtfully placed. What a bright and festive atmosphere you’ve created, Ellen! Beautiful! Thank you for inviting us to your Christmas Open House. 🙂 Blessings and joy to you and yours~ xo

• December 20, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Dear Amy,
      Thank-you for stopping by and writing such a lovely comment! I have been following your blog for awhile. Reading your words is magical for me, you lift me higher each time. Wishing you a joyous Christmas and blessings in 2015!

10. December 17, 2015 at 3:06 pm

I had to revisit your lovely holiday decorations on this rainy New England day! How have you decorated your new place?

• December 17, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Thank you Rebecca for looking back a my December post. Around the front door I hung green roping with lights, big mistake; it’s been unseasonably warm just like the rest of the east coast; the roping is almost all brown. Next year, I’ll know better. 🙂 My dining room table is the same but I added a silver tray with seashells and pine. May you have a joyous Christmas with your family and may all your wishes come true in the New Year!