My Tribute to Eddie Lee May

Do you have blogs you love? The ones that make you smile every time you see a new post in your inbox? I love Lee May’s Gardening Life blog! I love Lee’s style of writing, his poetic voice; his love of mosses and stones, and the ever changing garden.

In the Fall Lee was diagnosed with cancer. I didn’t want to believe it. Yesterday, I received another post saying he had passed on December 3, 2014. All around me the world stopped as I let the sad news sink in. I had been praying for him, hoping he would recover.

Lee May had an extensive career in writing. He was a journalist for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and the Los Angeles Times for more than twenty-five years. He was a graduate of the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism and recipient of many awards. Lee wrote two books: In My Father’s Garden and Gardening Life.

Favorite quotes from: Gardening Life
“As far back as I can remember, I have loved and appreciated gardening and life.”

I knew I had found a kindred spirit when I found out Lee loved mosses. “There is something retro about mosses. They are simple plants, recalling simpler times. Their uncomplicated nature enhances the role of a garden, any garden, as a pathway to calm and peace.”

Lee loved stones and had a collection of them in his garden and in his home. “Like all gardens, mine is ever changing and becoming, but it is held steady by stone. Stone offers the most strength, the most constancy. Stone is the closest to permanence. Many monuments and places of reflection are built of stone. People are drawn to these places to touch the stone and feel its power. And its peace, which rises from its strength.”

My heart goes out to Lee’s wife, Lyn, and his children and grandchildren. May they find comfort in knowing Lee’s words touched many people’s lives in powerful ways. He was a gifted writer and he will be always be remembered.

Now, every time I touch velvety mounds of moss or hold a stone in my hand I will think of Lee.

14 comments for “My Tribute to Eddie Lee May

1. December 5, 2014 at 7:33 pm

This is beautiful! I’m sorry he’s gone. I’m going to look at his blog and books too.

• December 5, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Thank-you Rachel! I’m sorry he’s gone too. I hope his family keeps his blog online. I only started following him last year and I want to read his archives.

2. December 6, 2014 at 3:11 am

I’m sorry Ellen 😦 I will say a prayer.

3. Lisa at Greenbow
    December 7, 2014 at 11:47 am

A very nice tribute. I am sure Lee would approve. He was a good man, great gardener and friend to all gardeners.

• December 7, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Thank-you Lisa,

I feel blessed that I was able to know him through his blog and books.

4. joenesgarden
    December 8, 2014 at 12:45 am

Lovely words, Ellen, as was the man.

• December 8, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Thank-you Joene! I started reading Lee’s blog after he moved away from Connecticut. I’m sorry I never had a chance to meet him and visit his garden. I will continue to read his archives. I learn much about gardening and writing through his words.

5. December 11, 2014 at 10:46 am

I always loved reading his writings in the AJC. Mother Earth will miss this special, gentle man while the angels rejoice in heaven.

• December 11, 2014 at 11:55 am

What a lovely comment! Yes, I do believe Lee is up there right now planting moss and moving stones. 🙂

6. December 12, 2014 at 4:42 am

I thought you’d like to know I nominated you for the Leibster Award. Your blog is super duper! You can see how to get the award by going to mine http://skybluedaze.wordpress.com/2014/12/10/leibster/ and see what I wrote about your blog in the lower part. Click on the award logo on my site and copy the URL to put it in your blog as an image in your award response and as a sidebar widget. Keep up the good work! Kay

And thanks so much for highlighting my blog in an earlier post you made. So kind of you!

• December 12, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Dear Kay,
      Thank-you for nominating me for the Leibster Award. I enjoyed reading your critique of my blog and appreciate you considering my blog worthy of such an award. It is with a humble heart that I do not accept the award. My award is being able to write, knowing people like you will be reading my words.

~ ellen

• December 12, 2014 at 6:37 pm

I know what you mean. Awards require some work. It took me weeks to decide if I was going to participate. I like the way you highlighted a few blogs, like mine, in paragraphs in a blog post. That had more of a personal touch.

• December 12, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Thank-you Kay! Happy blogging!
        ~ ellen