Thanksgiving Prayer

I still remember the basket. I was the first one to answer the door. “Is your mother home?” the man asked. “Just a minute,” I replied. I ran to get my mom. “We’d like to give this basket to you and your family. It’s from the church.” All of that for us? I couldn’t believe it. “That’s very kind of you, but I’m sure there’s someone who needs it more than we do,” said my mom. I never gave the basket much thought after we closed the door. I had all I needed: warm food, warm bed, a house full of siblings and loving parents.

Thank-you for my mom who taught me to take joy in what I already have.

Thank-you for my husband who completes me, and for my daughters who are kind and beautiful and who remind me every day that being a mom is a gift.

Thank-you for my older sister and my six younger brothers, my sister-in-laws and brother-in laws, nieces and nephews, and cousins; each a fiber in a tapestry of love.

Thank-you for my hands that work the soil, my eyes that notice the velvety mounds of moss, my ears that hear the cooing of morning doves, the taste of spring peas I grew myself, and the deep inside feeling of bliss I get each time I’m in the garden.

And Thank-you for my readers; who take the time to read my words.

13 comments for “Thanksgiving Prayer

1. November 22, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Very nice! Thanksgiving is such a great time to look back on all the things that we are so thankful for. Sometimes, in our everyday life we forget or we overlook them.

2. T.K.
    November 22, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Very lovely ..prayer….Happy Thanksgiving ..

November 23, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Beautiful…Happy Thanksgiving!

4. Renee
    November 23, 2014 at 11:37 pm

How wonderful to hear your reflections and insights! I love reading about your thoughts and learning from you as life goes on. Write more!!!

• November 24, 2014 at 12:11 pm

How sweet! I do love the process. I learn more about myself through writing.

5. Kim Staffod
    November 24, 2014 at 3:34 pm

That was very moving and very true. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving with your beautiful family. 🙂

6. December 2, 2014 at 4:07 pm

So beautifully expressed. Thank you for the beauty in these words and your beingness. 🙂

• December 2, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Thank-you Hannah! I just found your blog today and I love it! Your photographs and words inspire me, they are so lovely!

• December 2, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Thank you so much for your interest in my heart-work…I’m so glad to have crossed creative paths with you and I look forward to seeing and reading you as well. 🙂