A Cottage Garden

I have always loved old houses. They have a history and tell a story. When we bought our farmhouse a couple of nondescript apple trees grew on the property. In the backyard there was an old stone wall that was falling down. Overgrown shrubs grew in front of the house and random pieces of slate led from the front door to the dirt driveway. The original pine floor boards inside the house creaked and the windows were drafty. I loved the house in all its disrepair. The house had potential; all it needed was someone to care about it.

This is a picture of our farmhouse when we first purchased it.

This is a picture of our farmhouse when we first purchased it.

My dream was to have a cottage garden in front of the house but I didn’t know anything about cottage gardens. Through a friend, I met Janie, a landscape designer. She came over and helped us decide what plants to put in. We removed all the shrubs in the front and on the side of the house.  We planted beautiful pink hydrangea and perennials. At first we just had a small area planted but over the years we added a brick walkway and the border expanded.

To see more of the cottage garden, click here.

This is a picture of our farmhouse today with a new coat of yellow paint and a cottage garden.

14 comments for “A Cottage Garden

1. October 26, 2014 at 1:55 am

I love the look of your garden, I would love a little path like that in my garden, perhaps something for me to plan 🙂

• October 26, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Thank-you for following my blog!

~ Ellen

2. Jim
    October 26, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Great before and after pictures

3. October 30, 2014 at 12:27 pm

You’ve come a long way! It’s lovely — now. Smart, though, that you could judge good “bones.”

4. November 2, 2014 at 12:44 am

Old homes are great!! My Mom just loved the New England gardens and white picket fences. I was born and raised in Connecticut. Nice Blog, happy blogging!!

5. November 2, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Glad you decided to follow my blog. Today, I will complete another post about my trip to Ethiopia this summer. I used to live in a house built before 1800 in Rhode Island. Houses built now will not last like those wonderful old ones have.

6. kspring
    November 26, 2014 at 12:55 pm

What a beautiful transformation!